Above is a video of a symposium conducted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies, November 29, 2017, with Rear Admiral Michael F. McAlister, Commander, 17th Coast Guard District, as the speaker. He talked about:
- The Arctic as he sees it now and his concerns for the future.
- Working relationship with counterparts in Russia, China, Canada, and other Artic nations.
- Some of the topics were a traffic management scheme jointly proposed with Russia for the area around the Bering Strait.
- Prospect of increased Illegal, Unregulated, and Unreported Fishing in the Arctic.
- Differences in pollution response regulations and planning compared to how it is done in the lower 48.
- Improved communications among Arctic Coast Guard Forum nations.
- Extending Maritime Domain Awareness to include groups outside the Coast Guard such as environmental groups and native villages.
Thanks to Lee for bringing this to my attention.