The video above is part of Naval News‘ continuing coverage of the “Pacific 2019” Defense Industry show taking place in Sydney, Australia. The topics of the video are listed below. At least two may be of interest, (1) the new Australian Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) being built to a Luerssen design which we discussed here earlier, and (2) the SAAB UMS Skeldar V200 VTOL Unmanned Air System. This is one of a growing number of vertical takeoff “drones.” This one is the first I have seen with ViDAR included in its list of possible payloads. VIDAR was tested by the Coast Guard in 2016.
- Hunter-class Frigate (SEA5000) with BAE Systems
- Safran Optronic masts for Attack-class submarine (SEA1000)
- Luerssen Arafura-class offshore patrol vessel (SEA1180) (time 4:30 to 6:00)
- Saab UMS Skeldar V200 VTOL UAV (SEA129 Phase 5) (time 6:00 to 7:35)
- Australian Naval Infrastructure / Osborne Naval Shipyard
There is reference to the fact that the German Navy has also purchased the SAAB UMS Skeldar. Apparently they ordered two, but are not yet decided if it will become a their standard.