Below you will find a CCGD11 news release quoted in its entirety. I find it significant that the address will take place in a Pacific port rather than in DC. Also note the bullet point, “Coast Guard deployments to the western Pacific Ocean in support of U.S. national security and foreign policy objectives.” It seems the Coast Guard is also “Pivoting” to the Pacific. Even the Arctic strategy and new icebreakers are PACAREA issues. Nice to see the Coast Guard recognizing the growing importance of the Pacific. As noted below, you can see the address live. (Presumably all times are Pacific Coast.) Once it shows up on YouTube I will post it here as well.
U.S. Coast Guard 11th District PA Detachment LA/LB
Top Coast Guard officer to outline future of service in San Pedro
Editors’ Note: Click on above image to download full-resolution version.
WHO: Adm. Karl Schultz, commandant of the United States Coast Guard
WHAT: The service chief is scheduled to give his first annual State of the Coast Guard address
WHEN: Thursday at 8:00 a.m.
WHERE: Coast Guard Base Los Angeles-Long Beach at 1001 S. Seaside Ave., San Pedro, CA 90731
HOW: Media may RSVP at (310) 781-0619 no later than Wednesday at 5 p.m. A government-issued identification and media credentials are required for access to Base Los Angeles-Long Beach. Media can access the event Wednesday at 7:30 a.m.
SAN PEDRO, Calif. — The Commandant of the United States Coast Guard will deliver his first State of the Coast Guard address Thursday at Coast Guard Base Los Angeles-Long Beach in San Pedro.
Speaking from the largest port in the nation, Adm. Karl Schultz will highlight Coast Guard security and marine safety operations, which facilitate $4.6 trillion in annual economic activity.
Adm. Schultz will also recognize the service and sacrifice of Coast Guard men and women deployed around the world ensuring global peace and prosperity, including servicemembers supporting U.S. Indo-Pacific Command and U.S. Central Command. He will also honor servicemembers in San Pedro, who help ensure the safety and timely movement of vessels operating in the Ports of Los Angeles-Long Beach.
Adm. Schultz is scheduled to make multiple policy and acquisition announcements:
- The expansion of the Coast Guard’s presence in the Los Angeles area with a new base, vessels and support personnel.
- An update to the Coast Guard’s Arctic Strategy and future Arctic operations.
- Full funding and plans to award the contract for the construction of the Coast Guard’s first Polar Security Cutter.
- Coast Guard deployments to the western Pacific Ocean in support of U.S. national security and foreign policy objectives.
- New acquisitions to enhance maritime operations combatting dangerous criminal organizations off of Central and South America. These operations reduce violence and economic/political instability driving illegal immigration toward the U.S. Southern Border.
Detailed Schedule of Events:
- 8:15 – 8:30 a.m.: Adm. Schultz will be available for media interviews
- 8:30 – 9:40 a.m.: Displays and tours of Coast Guard assets will be available. Local Coast Guard members will be available for interviews
- 9:50 – 10:45 a.m.: State of the Coast Guard address
- 10:45 – 11:15 a.m.: Demonstrations of search and rescue and non-compliant vessel/use-of-force capabilities
- 12:45 – 2:00 p.m.: Adm. Karl Schultz invites the media to get underway on a Coast Guard cutter. Adm. Schultz will be available for additional interviews aboard the vessel.