I am passing along this from Coast Guard Mutual Assistance.
Happy Birthday to the Coast Guard, marking 230 years of faithful service to our nation!
Now is the time to celebrate the people, the mission, and the incredible history of the USCG!
Today, August 4th, marks the founding of the Revenue Cutter Service in 1790 and the origins of the United States Coast Guard. Every day members of the Coast Guard are securing our borders, interdicting illicit drugs, and protecting our national interests.
Impressively on an average day, the United States Coast Guard:
- conducts 45 search and rescue cases
- saves 10 lives
- saves over $1.2M in property
- seizes 874 pounds of cocaine and 214 pounds of marijuana
- conducts 57 waterborne patrols of critical maritime infrastructure
- interdicts 17 illegal migrants
- escorts 5 high-capacity passenger vessels
- conducts 24 security boardings in and around U.S. ports
- screens 360 merchant vessels for potential security threats prior to arrival in U.S. ports
- conducts 14 fisheries conservation boardings
- services 82 buoys and fixed aids to navigation
- investigates 35 pollution incidents
- completes 26 safety examinations on foreign vessels
- conducts 105 marine inspections
- investigates 14 marine casualties involving commercial vessels
- facilitates movement of $8.7B worth of goods and commodities through the Nation’s Maritime Transportation System
Even though Coast Guard Day looks a little different this year, we know you are still ready to celebrate this amazing branch of service! The United States Coast Guard is resilient and ready for anything no matter what storm may surge or threat arise. This is why CGMA just rolled out 6 new programs to assist CG families through the challenges and uncertainties of COVID-19. You can learn more about these programs on our website: cgmahq.org.
Now we are witnessing COVID-19 cases increase nationwide, there is a national crisis in the availability of child care, and schools are beginning to announce plans for the fall semester.
– ADM Karl Schultz, USCG Commandant, Chairman, CGMA Board of Control
Last year, 1 in 5 Active Duty Coast Guard members received support from CG Mutual Assistance. You can help our Coast Guard remain mission ready and provide the peace of mind they need when they face financial emergencies. Support their families and their future through CGMA emergency, education, and family support programs.
Join me in celebration of the mission of the USCG by applauding the men and women of the Coast Guard for their incredible dedication and focus on the mission of our service. The funds raised will fuel the programs that reach the Coast Guard community. It is only through your generous donations that we can help our own! Charles, for your generosity to the shipmates of the Coast Guard — THANK YOU!
RADM Cari Thomas, USCG, Ret.
Chief Executive Officer
P.S. Don’t miss the party. How will you join the celebration? Give a special gift today. Together we can honor the past and secure the future.
Coast Guard Mutual Assistance, 1005 North Glebe Road, Ste 220 Arlington, VA 22201
Reblogged this on Nicky's World and commented:
That’s impressive for the USCG