Despite inter-service rivalry, kidding, and way to many jokes about how tall we have to be, to be Coasties, we are, when the chips are down, brothers in arms. Glad they are on our side.
R 131205Z OCT 21
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ: 246TH BIRTHDAY OF THE UNITED STATES NAVY
1. On behalf of all members of our United States Coast Guard team,
I salute the Navy on 246 years of honorable service to our Nation.
2. A 13 October 1775 resolution of the Continental Congress
established the United States Navy with “a swift sailing vessel,
to carry ten carriage guns, and a proportionable number of swivels,
with eighty men, be fitted, with all possible dispatch, for a
cruise of three months…” Since that time, the U.S. Navy and the
U.S. Coast Guard have been partners in ensuring America’s national
interests are advanced across the global maritime domain. With a
shared investment in the free flow of maritime commerce, U.S. naval
power remains foundational to the global economy, as well as the
projection of national sovereignty through both rapid response and
sustained global operations.
3. We are honored to operate alongside the U.S. Navy as proud
partners in the Naval Service, and remain committed to prevailing
in day-to-day competition, crisis, and conflict with integrated
all-domain naval power focused on advancing both global prosperity
4. We look forward to continued shared success and partnership in
service to our great Nation. Happy Birthday and Semper Fortis.
5. ADM Karl L. Schultz, Commandant, United States Coast
6. Internet release is authorized.