MarineForum, 23 July, is reporting
“The Colombian navy will be given a decommissioned (in service 1983, out of service 2011) South Korean corvette …for anti-drug operations … part of South Korean plans to boost arms exports to Latin America) (rmks: dates given seem to indicate DONG HAE class 755 AN YANG)
Coast Guard units may have an opportunity to work with this vessel. Here are the specs for the ship found in Wikipedia. No helicopter deck, but perhaps that might be changed, otherwise looks like a good addition for drug enforcement.
|Displacement:||1,076 tonnes (1,059 long tons; 1,186 short tons)|
|Length:||78.1 m (256 ft 3 in)|
|Beam:||9.6 m (31 ft 6 in)|
|Draft:||2.6 m (8 ft 6 in)|
|Speed:||Maximum: 31 knots (57 km/h)
Cruising: 15 knots (28 km/h)
|Range:||4,000 nautical miles (7,400 km)|
|EDO 786 hull mounted sonar|
|Armament:||• 1 × OTO Melara 76 mm/62 compact cannon
• 2× Emerson 30mm twin guns
• 1× Bofors 40mm/56 twin guns
• 2× Mark 32 triple torpedo tubes (with 6× Mark 46 torpedoes)
• 12× Mark 9 depth charges
Colombia TBA ?? Ex ROK Kun San Transfer 2013?
Philippines TBA Ex-ROK Kyong Jun Transf 2013?
Previous news reports points to Gunsan (PCC 757) which was retired in 2011 as the subject ship for donation to Colombia.
Hi Again Chuck,
Additional research on the donation, leads only to additional confusion. Although Anyang (PCC 755 ‘Dong Hae’ class)’s in-service date (1983 vs Gunsan’s 1984) does provide a clue, this report pointed to a 1,200 tons corvette which fits Gunsan’s full load displacement : http://oananews.org/content/photo/politics/s-korea-donates-retired-corvette-colombia
However, a few old news did pointed to ROKNS Anyang —
1. Defensa.com > http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.defensa.com%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D8991%3Acorea-del-sur-dona-la-corbeta-755-anyanga-la-armada-de-colombia%26catid%3D55%3Alatinoamerica%26Itemid%3D163
2. Quedice.Net > http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fquedice.net%2F2013%2F05%2F13%2Fcorea-del-sur-dona-la-corbeta-755-anyanga-la-armada-de-colombia%2F
49r, thanks, that squares with Dave Shirlaw’s comment. The Pohang class ships would be a slight upgrade. Their specs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pohang_class_corvette
There is also a notation in the Wiki entry that PCC-757 (Gunsan or Kun San) will be transferred to Colombia.
The Wiki notation for the Dong Hae class also indicates that PCC-755 is also being donated to Colombia. I suppose it is possible they are getting both ships.
News confirmation that ARC Nariño is the former ROKN Anyang PCC-755, a Donghae class corvette.
Thanks, from the photos, looks like the 76mm was removed before the transfer, but the 30mms should be adequate for the law enforcement mission.