- Insight Mini Thermal Monocular (MTM) and AN/PSQ-20 Monoculars (enhanced night vision devices) for improved law enforcement and ice detection.
- Handheld Glare Helios laser for stand-off hailing capabilities.
- FiFish Remotely Operated Vehicle for underwater inspections in cold weather.
- Long Range Acoustic Device 500X-RE for enhanced communication with vessels at longer distances.
- Iridium Certus Terminal, which helped provide internet access for the crew to maintain communications with Atlantic Area.
These systems were referred to in the earlier linked post, but there is much more information in the Marine Link article.
I think that we are going to start seeing the Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) on all our cutters. We really should have them on our Webber class bound for PATFORSWA. In addition to its communications capabilities, it can be an effective less than lethal weapon for discouraging approach or breaking down resistance to a boarding. (Remember when we played rock music for Noriega down in Panama.)
The Iridium Certus Terminal helped communications that are always difficult in the Arctic, and probably provided in major morale boost for the crew.
While I see the utility of the night vision devices, for the larger ships I would really like to see us take a look at this. It appears it could do everything the night vision devices can do, plus allow transmission of bearing and elevation information, along with its nominal function of quickly bringing weapons to bear on a visually detected threat. Maybe another good addition for Webber class going to SW Asia.