I am just passing this along in hopes that one of my readers might be interested. The deadline is coming up fast. The original source is here.
What can the U.S. Coast Guard do today to be more effective tomorrow? All topics are welcome, and no issue is too big or too small. Authors might consider:
- Changes required to meet new global missions
- Barriers to mission execution and how to remove them
- How best to integrate the Coast Guard’s unique authorities and capabilities with the other Sea Services
- Innovative ideas to help make the Coast Guard a more capable instrument of national power globally
- How to better leverage partnerships at home and abroad
Consider how to make the Coast Guard stronger. This does not mean authors cannot be critical and take on “it’s always been done that way” practices. In fact, we encourage you to push the “dare factor.”
- Open to all contributors — active-duty, military, reservists, veterans, and civilians.
- Essays must be no more than 2,500 words, excluding end notes and sources. Include word count on title page of the essay.
- Essays are judged in the blind. Do not include author name(s) on the title page or within the body of the essay.
- Submit essay as a Word document at http://www.usni.org/cgessay no later than 30 April 2023.
- Essay must be original and not previously published (online or in print) or being considered for publication elsewhere.
First Prize: $5,000
Second Prize: $2,500
Third Prize: $1,500
The Proceedings staff members will evaluate every essay and screen the top essays to a special Essay Selection Committee of at least six members who will include two members of the Naval Institute’s Editorial Board and four subject experts. All essays will be judged in the blind—i.e., the Proceedings staff members and judges will not know the authors of the essays. Since we receive so many submissions (more than 100 per month!), notification of acceptance on one of our platforms can take 4-6 months. We will notify you via email if your essay is selected for a prize or for publication.
Announcement of the Winners
Winners will be published in the August 2023 Proceedings.
Submit your Essay
Please log in or create an account in order to make a submission.