Naval News provides a video of an interview with 5th Fleet/NAVCENT commander VAdm Charles Bradford (Brad) Cooper II. In addition to the video above, the Naval News post provides a transcript of the interview (always appreciated).
The video provides more than talking heads. There are snippets of video showing the operation of unmanned systems and the people mentioned.
PATFORSWA Webber class cutters show up in the video three times.
Task Force 59 is an exciting development. It appears likely this model will be replicated in other areas including with the 4th Fleet in the Drug Transit Zone. Hopefully the Coast Guard is taking the opportunity to learn as much as possible from these operations. If the Coast Guard does not have a Coast Guard R&D liaison to Task Force 59 we are missing a good bet.
- “Navy’s Digital Horizon exercise showcases power of ‘mesh networks,’ AI” –Defense News
- “The More ‘Eyes On The Water’, The Better” –Marine News
- “Task Force 59 Launches Aerial Drone from Coast Guard Ship in Middle East” –NAVCENT
- “Navy to establish additional unmanned task forces inspired by Task Force 59” –Defense Scoop
- Task Force 59 Unmanned Surface Vessels Operate With PATFORSWA Cutter
- “NAVCENT Establishes Task Force for Unmanned System Operations” –Seapower
“Gulf nations summon sea drones to curb illicit trafficking” https://www.defensenews.com/global/mideast-africa/2023/03/09/gulf-nations-summon-sea-drones-to-curb-illicit-trafficking/