Below I have provided the Naval News coverage of DSEI 2021. There are a few segments in particular that may be of interest.
In the Day 1 coverage:
- 07:25 – VARD 7 115 Next Generation OPV. I think you can see the similarity to the Offshore Patrol Cutter design which is a VARD 7 110.
- 10:09 – OMT’s MPV-80/12:52 – SH Defence “The Cube” modular mission module. The Danes have been making modular naval systems for decades and this is modularity on steroids. “The Cube” is a proposed system of standard container-sized modules. The MPV-80 is a modular OPV with 32 positions for “The Cube” modules.
In the Day 3 coverage:
- 00:47 – Royal Navy’s NavyPODS is another container-sized module proposal. Sounds like the Royal Navy may be considering using these on their River Class Offshore Patrol Vessels.
- 06:46 – AEUK SeaSense variable depth sonar. This is another ASW sensor that could be deployed on very small vessels.
- 07:27 – BAE Systems Bofors 40Mk4 naval gun system. This would make a good choice to arm smaller cutters or for use as a secondary on larger cutters. Right now, it’s not in the USN inventory and there is no integral fire control system, so. at least an Electro-Optic system would be required. The ammunition uses the same 3P fuse used on the 57mm Mk110 gun. For decades the Italians used 40mm guns for their CIWS. Most recently they have been using 76mm guns. The Royal Navy has recently adopted this mount to use as a secondary weapon and CIWS on the Type 31 class frigate.
In the Day 4 coverage:
- 04:55 – MSI Defence Ltd Seahawk 30mm naval gun system. We talked about this gun mount earlier, since it appears it will be the USN Mk38 Mod4. It is the reason I posted this video earlier.
Day 1 at DSEI 2021 in London, UK. We focused on new anti-ship missiles, the Sea Breaker by Rafael, the Sea Serpent by IAI and Thales UK. We then take a look at two new OPV designs: The VARD 7 115 NGOPV and the MPV 80 by OMT. We then discuss with SH Defence about “The Cube” modular mission module.
- 00:50 – Rafael’s Sea Breaker
- 05:03 – IAI’s Sea Serpent
- 07:25 – VARD 7 115 Next Generation OPV
- 10:09 – OMT’s MPV-80
- 12:52 – SH Defence “The Cube” modular mission module.
Day 2 at DSEI 2021 in London, UK. We focused on Naval Strike Missile (NSM) with Raytheon, the new Quadome 3D radar by Hensoldt, UAS integration with Thales and the MMCM program with Thales.
- 00:15 – Intro
- 00:53 – Raytheon’s NSM for SSGW
- 04:12 – Hensoldt launches new Quadome 3D radar
- 05:30 – Thales’ Unmanned wide area surveillance
- 07:28 – Thales MMCM program
Day 3 at DSEI 2021 in London, UK. We talked to the Royal Navy about their NavyPODS concept. We then focused on mine warfare, talking to Patria and its acoustic sweep, and Atlas Elektronik UK (AEUK) ARCIMS and its payloads. We then talked to BAE Systems Bofors to get an update on the 40Mk4 naval gun program and learn about the T-650 heavy lift UAS which can carry a lightweight torpedo.
- 00:12 – Introduction
- 00:47 – Royal Navy’s NavyPODS
- 02:53 – Patria’s acoustic sweep
- 05:17 – Atlas Elektronik UK ARCIMS
- 06:46 – AEUK SeaSense variable depth sonar
- 07:27 – BAE Systems Bofors 40Mk4 naval gun system
- 09:16 – BAE Systems T-650 heavy lift UAS
Final day at DSEI 2021 in London, UK. Naval News’ Editor-in-Chief, Xavier Vavasseur, takes you around the show floor and comments some of the new systems on display. We start with MBDA who was showcasing its future missile concepts (related to FCASW) as well as current portfolio of anti-ship missiles (SPEAR, SPEAR EW, Exocet, Marte, Sea Venom and Maritime Brimstone) and naval air defense solutions (Dragonfire, Aster B1 NT and CAMM / Sea Ceptor). We then take a close look at a scale model of the XLUUV on the TKMS stand and the MSI Defence Systems’ Seahawk 30mm naval gun system which was recently selected by the US Navy. Finally we talked to IAI’s Malcolm McKenzie to learn more details about Sea Serpent.
- 00:47 – MBDA concept missiles for FCASW
- 01:34 – MBDA SPEAR and SPEAR EW
- 01:57 – MBDA Exocet MM40 Block 3C
- 02:22 – MBDA Marte ER
- 02:38 – MBDA Sea Venom
- 02:48 – MBDA Maritime Brimstone
- 03:08 – MBDA Dragonfire laser weapon system
- 03:20 – MBDA Aster 30 B1 NT
- 03:25 – MBDA CAMM / Sea Ceptor
- 03:45 – TKMS XLUUV
- 04:55 – MSI Defence Ltd Seahawk 30mm naval gun system
- 05:26 – IAI Sea Serpent anti-ship missile